Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Plans Change

Hi friends!!

I more appropriately wanted to title this "Plans Change aka WHY THE HECK IS EVERYTHING NOT WORKING!!" but decided it could be too long... and people may think I have issues and was yelling at them.

So hello friends!! It is Monday (still officially for 7 more minutes so I have to type fast), and more specifically, the Monday after a long weekend. I hope you had such a great and relaxing weekend. I myself had a great long weekend. I really did, there was sun, pool, ice cream, great food (steaks and corn on the cob!! boom, best meal ever), so much hangout time with the fiance man, I got to do some improv at church... just such a great weekend overall.

In between doing super awesome sunshine filled long weekend stuff I also had to do some 'adult' things this weekend and run errands, you know how it is.. And one thing that really was on my mind today (and especially once I logged on to facebook and saw that I had been forced over to Timeline...) was that plans change and there are lessons to be learned for me to just roll with it and know there is a purpose. For instance, I did some wedding stuff this weekend and what was supposed to be a simple to do list of "pick up ties for groom and groomsmen" turned into a crazy somewhat complicated adventure. I am not discouraged nor do I particularly care if the shade of said tie is off by one degree... of colour(??)... but the adventure arose because in my mind it seemed so simple to walk into a store show them the shirt they had to match and find that same colour in a tie... only the problem is that since purple is still such a new invention, ever since we moved away from prime colours, many stores do not carry what we need. None of them actually. This happened with a few things this weekend... I really don't remember any of them beyond the ties at the moment but I constantly had the thought rolling around in my head of "why does this have to be so difficult?!" I get a plan stuck in my head and am not a fan when it doesn’t work out.

These plans changing thoughts actually brought me back to about a year ago and I will share this story with you. See I had this plan in September of 2010, after I stopped living a life full of lies, that I would give myself a month to grieve and get over the mess that I had made of my life and my heart, it was called 'Sad September' actually. After this one month of crying (because I literally just couldn't stop crying over the years I had wasted and my ripped to shreds self-esteem and self-worth), I planned for 'Optimistic October' to look towards my future and plan a new path which would nicely lead me all the way into 'Normal November'. It's always good to have a plan :) ............. until it gets completely shattered because October, November, December, January, February, March, April, June and July all pass and I couldn't stop crying. Now don't pity me over this because I sure don't, I learned sooo much in that time and am now so grateful for it that I wouldn't have changed that healing process at all. God loves us more than quick healing because he teaches us so much in those times of desperation. Ok, BUT what I do want to draw attention to is the fact that as month after month went by I became more and more frustrated because I felt behind on my 'plan'. I felt so lost that I could never catch up and wanted to quickly just heal myself so I could get back to my plan, my ridiculous plan that I thought was ever so important.

Now... hear me on this. If you plan out your entire life to perfection refusing to alter it, you leave no wiggle room for fantastic things and for God to work through you. On the same note, if you stress yourself out that you have no plan at the moment, you will never realize you are part of a plan. And lastly, if you pity yourself over supposed ‘failed’ plans, you will miss the joy of unexpected blessings.

Wherever you are in life, I encourage you to make tentative plans. If you don’t plan to have a goal in life you are simply surviving day to day and life will drain you. If you are at a period in your life where you feel like you have no idea what big plans to make or what to do next, hold tight… keep your mind open, keep searching and God will reveal a step for you to take in the right direction. If something just didn’t work out the way you thought it should, rejoice in that, whether good or bad, because God’s got this. Many times, as I expressed earlier, I get frustrated when plans change as I get tunnel minded and can’t think outside the single plan I had. Only later once a situation resolves itself in a way I never could have predicted do I realize that God had a better plan for me. If only my forgetful brain could remember this 24/7. Plans change for reasons beyond that which I can comprehend. The sooner I remember this, the sooner I learn to readjust my attitude and put my trust in God that any and all situations will be resolved.

So friends, I guess in great conclusion, plans change, but so can attitudes towards that change… I choose to rejoice for it is a new, unforseen adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment