Monday, February 18, 2013

Update: Dentist Freakout, Kind of

Haaaaaaaaaaappy Monday!!

If you recall, I wrote this a few months ago on my thoughts about dentists: Dentists & Attitudes
Basic Overview: I freak out when going to the dentist and I strongly dislike going there but have a goal to readjust my attitude so that my teeth don't all fall out.

Now fast forward to a few weeks ago and I was on vacation. On my great vacation I ate pineapple and as everyone knows pineapple is ALWAYS more delicious when relaxing near an ocean so I ate quite a bit, and it was during this pineapple eating that I realized my back tooth really hurt. Naturally, as a dramatic Sherylynn, I panicked that my tooth was rotting out of my head, waited until I got back to my room then made awkward faces in the mirror to try and self evaluate my tooth. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a good angle so I had to use my camera to attempt to take pictures of the inside of my mouth. Then I proceeded to zoom in on every single blurry picture to try and evaluate how long my tooth had to live. Sure signs of desperation.

I tried to remain calm. I promise I really did. But after my complete self-dental exam, based on zero dental education background, I concluded that I had at least 8 cavities. Then spent the rest of the vacation trying to not panic on my rotting teeth and re-examining each photo when I got the chance, just in case I missed a cavity... all while my poor husband told me that there was nothing I could do while on vacation so I should stop looking at the pictures. Like a psycho. (I added that last part, Andrew wouldn't say that).

Totally different subject! About halfway into my vacation I realized that I had no idea what I had done with an important cheque that I was supposed to have sent away before I left. Had I really put it in the mail? Was it still in my car? Did I leave it at work? Will I miss the due date!?!

Both these concerns (dentist and cheque) I attempted to put out of my mind because logically I knew that there was absolutely nothing I could do while on vacation, other than make a reminder to make a dentist appointment when I got back home and to look for the cheque. And so this is what I did my best to do, with the verse "Do not be anxious about anything" constantly rolling around in my brain.

Upon returning to Chilli chilli chill wack, I called the dentist... and to ensure that I followed through on my attitude adjustment, I immediately told the lady on the phone that I was having a better attitude about the dentist, which she actually seemed quite proud of me so that was nice. Turns out there was space for an appointment in either two days or two months! Knowing that I would cancel come April, I accepted the two day away appointment spot, then hungup the phone and realized that I was actually sweaty and shaky from just phoning the dentist. Cute, right?

But I used all my courage and I showed up for my appointment. Upon just seeing the building I immediately felt a sense of "dun dun duuuun, Dental pain." BUT THEN, I remembered I was to have a better attitude. So, I walked through the office door, sat in the waiting room trying to steady by psycho breathing and doing my best not to cry (wish I was joking) as today was going to be different, then came my turn for the chair. The girl was proud I had returned and was super sensitive on my dainty teeth. There were some buzz's and whirr's and wouldn't you know it, I was done already.

This is where I'm really going to shock you though... my self dental exam was completely wrong.
I know, how is that possible!! Turns out I only have one tiny cavity that they aren't even worried about but will keep an eye on. You win this time paranoia.

So my heart began to lighten that I would not have to return for 8 fillings! But that's not all!! Remember that cheque? Well I was looking everywhere for it as soon as I got back but couldn't find it anywhere. I kept feeling like I should delay cancelling the cheque and getting a new one sent out, and wouldn't you know it, as soon as I left the dentist office, and I'm not joking, I walked out of the office and I got a text saying the cheque had just been deposited, the day before it was due. RELIEF!

My heart felt so relieved from trying not to stress about these events. Oh God is good. It was at that moment that I kind of chuckled to myself that I ever worry about these little things, God's got this. And God's got you friends. Don't be afraid to throw your anxiety's and concerns on Him this week.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition,
with thanksgiving, present your requests to God."
Philippians 4:6

1 comment:

  1. Haha Sher, your bit about taking photos with your phone made me laugh out loud! Your writing is hilarious. Keep posting, I love em :P

    ReplyDelete