Monday, February 25, 2013

Storytime: I just want a pickle

It's been a while again... let's gather around for a Storytime Monday.

One day Stubborn Sally walked into the kitchen. Wouldn't you know it she all of a sudden wanted some pickles, so she went to the fridge, grabbed the jar and got excited for the delicious pickles she was going to eat. Once the lid was off of course.

The lid. What a cruel yet necessary invention. Stubborn Sally tried and tried to lefty loosy the lid but couldn't succeed.
"Do you want some help?" asked Helpful Hank as he had been watching her struggle the last few minutes.
"No, I work out, I can do it myself," replied Stubborn Sally.
So she tried again, this time using the many methods she had seen over the years, cloth over lid, smacking the lid with a fork, really quickly trying to turn lid, crying, pleading with lid, and still no pickles were freed.

"Are you sure you don't want me to help?" asked Helpful Hank, by this point feeling quite sorry for her.
"Leave me alone Hank, I can get a stupid pickle on my own," replied Stubborn Sally. (She doesn't work well under stress)

All of a sudden, the solution came to Stubborn Sally! I am so smart, she thought to herself, all I must do to solve this problem is bang the jar on the side of the counter and the lid will come loose. It just seemed so simple. So Stubborn Sally commenced tapping the jar on the side of the kitchen counter. When tapping did no harm she moved on to a heavier hitting, then she began to just throw all her weight into smacking the jar on the counter. Surely, it comes as no surprise to you that the jar completely shattered. Stubborn Sally in the process received some horrible gashes in her hands and fingers and all the pickles ended up on the floor. Now crying, holding up wounded hands, and with an "I give up" look on her face Stubborn Sally turned to Helpful Hank.

"Now will you let me help you?" Helpful Hank asked. To which Stubborn Sally nodded her head and allowed Helpful Hank to bring her to get some much needed stitches for her wounds.

Storytime Statement: God knows the solution before the problem and how to get to it. It seems to be easier to humble ourselves and accept the help provided by Him as opposed to our own solution, which is typically ridiculous in hindsight and always seems to gradually cause us more and more pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment