Monday, February 4, 2013

Betty & Veronica are Mistaken

Happy Day Friends!

So as promised last week, today we discuss Betty and Veronica... and how confused they are on proper relationships.
I have to just tell you first though that I'm excited for the next few weeks!! I feel like God has been kind of swirling things around in my heart the last week and so many new realizations have come to the surface that I can't wait to share with you all.

But again, today we discuss Betty and Veronica, here's how this came about... I was in the grocery store the other day, as those who like food usually frequent, and as I was standing in the line I naturally looked over all the magazines with celebrities and half exposed women telling me how to be better. I know there have been discussions on hiding these magazines so that young girls don't look at them and feel bad about their self image. Now, while I'm pondering this and checking out what is on display that ISN'T a magazine of some famous person, I see.... the Archie comic. So then I surprised myself a bit and felt angry. Not even kidding. Well, ok not outwardly but inside me something just clicked where I thought... this seemingly innocent comic is so incredibly wrong. Not only is it wrong on high school, relationships, and how many burgers a real person can eat in one sitting, it is wrong in that it has been around for so many years having an influence on teenage girls.

Here's my issue: Growing up I recall reading whichever Archie comics I came across. Naturally I joined the debate on who was more fitting for Archie; Betty the kind, poor, blonde, or Veronica, the snobby, rich, brunette. I have always been Team Betty, I just always thought she was super nice. Therefore, I was always glad for Betty when Archie would make a date with her. Then I would be sad for Betty when he for some reason had to ditch her. Then I would be glad for Betty when she would get another date with Archie... until Veronica wormed her way into the plans and Archie would take off with Veronica...this carries on for forever.. or for as long as I was reading them.

Betty, my dear, comic friend.... why do you do this to yourself!?

She is willingly chasing after a guy that has made no sign of commitment to her, hoping that things will change.

Don't get too caught up on the fact that this is a comic because I know that these situations are happening more and more often in real life. The comics are teaching young women that it's ok to continually fall for a guy that doesn't know how to treat women... at all. Firstly, Archie does not know how to choose between two girls!! and secondly, he checks out every single girl that goes by him!! The fact that Archie comes off as such a 'good' guy is what really worries me, because it shows that women let their guard down. They don't depict Archie as a drug dealing, tattoo covered, manipulating punk that you would 'expect' to mistreat women. The guy that both of these women chase after is a pale, red headed, goof ball that tries to stay out of trouble.

I feel like I have seen Archie comics happen to me in real life and I know I'm not the only one. And to be quite honest, I just think it's time for that to stop. If the guy you want to date can't keep his mind and eyes off other girls, whilst also admitting to dating another girl at the same time as you.... walk away. No, just start running actually. Don't even feel bad about it. You deserve to never have to second guess where your guy is, who he is with and whether you are 'out of sight, out of mind' with him. You deserve to be loved and cherished and never to be the backup plan in case the original date cancels. You deserve real love, not dating guessing games.

Friends, with Valentines coming up, think about this:
Archie typically brings flowers and chocolates for the girl when he goes out on a date with them.
Archie, unfortunately, does this for both Betty and Veronica, as well as the other girls he tries to impress.
Just because a guy brings you flowers doesn't mean he's the guy you should be chasing.

Praying for freedom, for all that are searching, this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment