Monday, April 9, 2012

No Scissors Needed


I help at an afterschool care program at one of my local elementary school’s and something happened the other day that has made me think about patience, and more specifically, waiting on the Lord. It also fits well into my theme of healing that I am focusing on for the next few Mondays.

So basically, at this program we give the kids a snack, let them play outside, and then do some crafts with them. A lot of these children are needy in the sense that they don’t know how to do crafts without direct assistance from someone. They are all super sweet kids, but again, they are very needy in that they all want reassurance that they are doing their craft right or they want me to show them constantly step by step how to do something (even though I’ve given directions to the group already). Now the other day we started making piñatas (which is a great adventure in itself!!), and, in typical fashion, one of the little boys asked me for help. As I was just finishing up helping someone else I told him I would be there in a minute. So about a minute later I head over to his side of the table and the little darling had taped scissors to his face! Scissor handles on his forehead and the scissor part going across his eye, taped on with none other than green painting tape. They were dull children’s scissors… but still!! Obviously I was a little shocked and I asked him “why did you tape scissors to your face!?!” to which the only thing he replied in an accusing tone was “… you said you were going to help me..” then proceeded to un-tape the scissors from his face.

After I shook my head a bit at this child’s theory (waiting for help=tape blunt scissors to eye), it actually has been on my mind because I wonder how often adults do this when waiting on the Lord for direction, more so how often do I make up my own waiting techniques? We have directions previously given to us (the Bible) but yet obviously also want reassurance from the Lord to let us know we are on the right path, this part makes sense. But when we have to wait on the Lord for something (healing, a new job, a husband or wife, a situation to resolve itself, etc.) do we wait patiently knowing a sense of direction will come? Or do we get bored and do something to get attention; an action that many times may do more damage than good. For instance, if you are waiting for a situation to resolve itself, do you get tired of waiting for an opportunity and instead pick up the phone and start yelling and accusing the opposing side or just decide to egg their house? OR If you are waiting for the perfect husband do you get tired, think that God forgot about you and go spend your time with the wrong men, or try and grab the attention of any male willing to give it?
Essentially: If you don’t get an immediate answer do you tape scissors to your face because you think this may help the process along?

I’m not looking to accuse anyone, these are simply things I am pondering for myself the last couple days about my past, present and future. How am I preparing myself and acting while waiting for something to happen? I know that before when I was looking for healing I tried my best to wait on God’s timing to heal a lot of the wounds I had, but in the meantime I tried to help heal those wounds myself with horrible results; in fact damaging myself more and making it harder for the original wounds to heal. This makes me reflect on my present and look forward to the future with hopes of leaning more on the Lord as opposed to my own ideas of healing.

Friends, I encourage you not to tape scissors to your face. No matter how tempting it may be to try and takeover with a plan that you think will have quick results, wait patiently on the Lord to finish the work he has already started in you. Healing will come, resolution will come, relationships will emerge, new opportunities will arise if you share your dreams with the Lord and wait on him to deliver them in perfect timing.

And I don’t usually end with a verse but today I shall share one of my favorites:
“Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31

2 comments:

  1. Sher, I LOVE this post. The analogy was perfect, and this post really got me thinking... And really convicted me too. I'd like to post a link to your post in my blog so my readers can see it... Cuz I think you just told this so bang on haha! Would that be ok? I think lots of people should read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, thanks so much! That encourages me a lot... yes for sure, feel free to re-post in your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete