Monday, July 16, 2012

No More Pants: The Power of Accountability

Good Day Friends,

So as mentioned last week, my 30 days of dresses are over. If you don't know what I am talking about see this: No More Pants

Now I have many findings from my extensive research of this, the most shocking one being that I actually gave myself a lesson in accountability. Furthermore, my dress experiment simultaneously turned into a bit of one of those "8 ways to wear an article of clothing" as I jumbled around my sweaters and leggings to keep me from freezing to death in our cold June. Maybe you even noted that this past week when I stopped my little experiment it got really sunny... so either you're welcome because I enticed the sun to come out or I'm sorry because I delayed it with my dresses. Your pick.
Sidenote: Mosquitoe plague. Stay strong everyone.

Ok so, what did I learn that I took many extensive notes on (in my brain) I shall tell you:

1) Right off the bat I realized that it was so much easier to get ready in the morning! The hassle of 'does this match that', and 'where is that shirt' questions were never an issue. I had a stack of dresses and each day I just grabbed one and threw it on because I knew that my options were limited and that I had to wear all of these dresses eventually. I will admit that there was some thought put into it as I didn't want to end up with my 10 least favorite dresses in the end and still be expected to show myself in public. So it worked out great.

2) As days went by... it gets cold when you wear dresses and the sky rains. Some days I actually woke up thinking "Good Morning Sherylynn, this is crazy, it is pouring rain outside, you are going to freeze today, just wear a sweater to work with jeans. ahhh yes, jeans, you love jeans!" But alas, I did not, because of point 3.

3) Accountability. Yes friends, today I admit I didn't actually think I would learn anything from wearing dresses for 30 days... I mean that just seems too deep, I more or less just like to entertain myself sometimes and decided to tell you all about it. But here's the thing, you tell someone about an idea, goal, or dream you are trying to achieve or an addicition, mindset, or struggle you are trying to overcome and they remember. Maybe not all the details but they are watching (not in a creepy way). Here are some great examples:
Example 1: I had people that had read my post come up to me requesting I let them know when the 'unwanted' dress give away would be or to ask me what dress # I was on or to simply ask me how my 30 days experiment was going.
Example 2: I had people encouraging me. It seems so silly for dress wearing, but honestly it was nice to have people text or tell me that I could do it. Especially on pouring rain days.
Example 3: Last week, once the experiment was over, I was wearing capris and met up with my sister. Immediately she said, "Sherylynn!!" with an incredulous look on her face, "you're wearing pants!!" (as if this wasn't right) once I explained the experiment was over she realized it was ok and that I hadn't broken my 30 day challenge.

Now I tell you these examples because none of that would have happened if I hadn't made public what I was hoping to achieve. If nobody knew I was challenging myself to wear dresses for 30 days nobody would have been concerned or the wiser if I wore pants or not. I would have known if I stopped after 3 days. Maybe I could have tried again but quit after 6 days... or quit after 12 days... 1 day... 8 days... 24 days.. and the whole time nobody would have known that this was a struggle for me or a goal I wanted to accomplish. Relate this to smoking, lying, purity, working out, etc. I'm not saying tell the world, but if you tell at least one trusted friend about a struggle or goal in your life, a friend that will call you out, encourage you and keep you on track, you are accountable to someone and much more motivated or disciplined to follow through.

So friends, thank you for your words of encouragement and interest during this challenge. I also want to encourage you this week to let people you trust into your lives. Allow yourselves to be vulnerable to them, to let them hold you when you are down, encourage you to get up and keep you accountable to the person you want to become.

And with that I give you some of my favorite photos of the 30 Days of Summer Challenge:
   



3 comments:

  1. Hey Sher. I have a question and hopefully I'm not asking something I could learn from reading part one.

    I many of these pictures your where something that I, as a fashionly(made that word up) challenged man, would have said were pants. Can you help a guy out with the definitions?

    ZIEMER

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm yes, yes thank you for your comment Ziemer... see, fashion today is changing to a more 'modest is hottest' approach, combined with very cold weather which results in myself wearing leggings with many of my dresses. Leggings should not, for the most part, be worn on their own so therefore are not pants and require a dress or long shirt to be worn over top. While the dresses could all stand on their own I felt leggings were necessary for some dresses as they were a bit too short for my comfort, especially for the very extreme sports I found myself a part of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ok that makes sense actually. if you cant where them alone as pants, even though theyre on your legs, theyre not pants.

    Thnx

    ReplyDelete