Monday, October 1, 2012

"Strict Policy" Breaker

A Sunshiney Day Moment:

I was at the store the other day purchasing some things for work.

Upon gathering my wonderfully selected items I went to the till, where one pays for said items.
Time Travel: Prior to leaving my work
I was given one of the corporate visas,
just to see if the store would take it.
My guess was no, but I was going to give it a try
just for some fun and entertainment.
End Time Travel.
So once at the cashier and after we had gone through that whole "How's your day?" "Great, yours?" etc. that they repeat over and over again (especially in the express lane) I handed her the visa for payment. The cashier took one look at the visa and got a bit serious to inform me that the store, we will call it Unsafepath, had a 'strict visa policy' and therefore would need photo ID for me to use that card. I told them it was a corporate card (while also trying to casually show that the company name matched my sweater). She asked if I had ID that matched to the actual name on the card, I said that I did not, however I did know the pass code for the visa... so then she just let me use the visa! That was too easy. Now ultimately, it didn't really matter if they took the visa or not because work would have just reimbursed me if they didn't. But the fact that I got around this 'strict policy' without barely even trying...I couldn't believe it. A supposed 'strict policy' just disappeared because I said I knew a little code, regardless of whether I had ID to match the card or not.

Let's talk about this in great and loving detail about the dangers of veering away from strict policy's. Fun!
So my thought is simply how often in our lives do we have 'strict policy's' on different things but then end up waiving them off if we are given a persuasive argument or met with resistance? Are we even aware that we are doing this or do we simply see that there was no immediate punishment from our bending of policy's and therefore no harm done?

Need some examples? Think wide range on this one: think goals for eating healthy, think not swearing, think habits, think premarital sex, think drinking, think eating at McDonalds, think not buying unneccesary things, think reading every single day, ... think about whatever your personal convictions may be, there is a very wide range!

If you decide to make a strict policy on something, example never eating at McDonalds again, then you must stick to that if you think you're going to make a difference and gain people's respect and acceptance of that policy. And here's the thing as much as keeping yourself accountable to your policy's, other people matter as well because once people know you have such a strict policy against eating at McDonalds (or not drinking alcoholic drinks, etc.), and that you do not budge from it they will stop asking you to go to there. Your name will not become associated with McDonalds, I know this from first hand experience!

One more example, let's go more serious here, even though it sounds a bit high school but I'm going here... If you decide that you are not going to have sex until you are married then, regardless of your reasoning, you must make a strict policy for that to actually happen. If a cute guy comes along and just wants to see if he can get past that policy, if you don't have your guard up and know where you stand then he's just going to talk you right out of that policy. Or maybe to go so far as saying that 'he loves you' (knowing the pass code) which might make you think that it is ok. Guess what, once somebody knows that your 'strict policy' can be broken through or avoided it will be harder to maintain that strict policy.


"A strict policy is for the dedicated, determined, and downright stubborn."
And that's ok, just make it positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment