Monday, November 26, 2012

B Words

Today I have on my mind what the world would look like if we could eliminate two B words:

1) Busy
2) Bored

Yes, there are other B words and some of them would be good to be eliminated too, but we are sticking with only these two for today.

Oook, so busy and bored, these words keep coming up because they are the two most common B words used. Oh fine, I made that up, but it's probably close to being true don't you think? How often do you get one of these words in response to "what did you do yesterday?" At first glance these words appear to be opposites, since if one is busy they must not be bored, and vice versa, but I believe society today has mixed up what these words mean. Now it's time for "Sherylynn Dictionary". I just made that up too.

Busy: A word that has come to mean an unproductive or overusage of time. A word used in response to get out of something, to cover poor planning, to accomodate unproductive tasks, to use in replace of "I'm not sure what I have accomplished in the last week because I spent a lot of time doing things I don't remember" or a 'go to' word used to explain that you don't know your limits and have over committed. Lastly, this word can be used without realizing the power it holds to make a person feel unimportant.

Bored: A word that has come to mean an unproductive use of time. A word used when one doesn't know how to be productive, when one doesn't know their potential, when one doesn't know their self-worth, when one doesn't know how to set goals. A word used when one has forgotten how to dream dreams.

I hope I am not being too harsh today but I think these words reveal so much about a person that they should be re-evaluated. To put everything together in a way that makes sense seems quite difficult but I will give it a try with the example of cell phone games:

For me, if a person tells me they were busy yesterday but then in the next sentence mentions that they played a new game on their cell phone for almost two hours I question their 'business' and what they value as a good use of time. This is where bored comes in, if one is 'bored' and therefore feels justified in playing the same unchallenging game over and over again, then passing it off as being 'busy,' this worries me. Friends, have you forgotten your potential and creativeness for accomplishing incredible things?

I am not saying don't have jobs, classes, church involvement or other commitments that fill up your schedule, but be aware of the fact that the time you spend being 'busy' and not productively building relationships, pursuing your dreams, goals, and developing as an individual is simply time wasted. You were created for incredible things and not rushing around without an exact task in mind beyond knowing that you are 'busy'.
Furthermore, boredom is not a part of who you are. You are not a boring individual and you never have been. Boredom is a frame of mind that is a bad habit, occurring when you forget your potential. Boredom can also be used as an excuse to not do something, in which case you are not actually bored you are delaying and distracting yourself from tasks at hand. Friends, you were made with a purpose and dream in your heart. And to add to that, you were wonderfully made with gifts and talents that are not being properly used when the only two things you know in life are being 'busy' or 'bored'.

You were made for so much more!

I hope something in there made sense and that you don't leave feeling offended... I just see so much potential around me everyday, waiting to be set free to fully develop into a masterpiece.

Have a great week friends. Hugs to all!

1 comment:

  1. Ha! I just read this (it came up on my blogger list of blogs) and realized I wrote on something similar today. Um...sorry if I inadvertendly stole your topic? haha. Great minds think alike I guess.

    ReplyDelete