Monday, November 5, 2012

What a Mess: Confessions from a Neat Freak

Yes, mess. A delayed mess.

I will show you right from the get go what I am talking about:

Oh the horror.
Now this may not be considered that huge of a mess... I mean really there is only a lamp, lamp shade, jumbo fabric cutting board, box of old clothing, and random jackets and reusable bags (saving the planet... hollah!), but the horror of it all is that this is all in the backseat of my car. And to make it even worse... it's been there for the last month and a half since I went on strike from moving. Ohhhh the shame!! The shame!! My internal neat freak has revealed the worst of herself. I wish I could tell you that I have now cleaned this all up. That would be false. Double shame!

I'm rambling. I will tell you the point of exposing my vulnerable neat freak heart today. Speaking of heart, (brilliant segue Sherylynn) the backseat of my car got me thinking about how easily it is to just carry around junk with us. Worse than that, it's super impractical and a lot more complicated to carry this junk around. (In response to my mothers thought she is thinking as she reads this: Of course I don't consider that lamp to be junk. Also, I love that fabric board, that is not junk either but in the grand picture that's what it all looks like from an outsider. Clarified.)

In a literal sense, when I have a backseat full of junk my daily living gets a lot more complicated than it needs to be. For instance, I have to maneouver all of my daily items to fit around the existing junk, I can't just place my purse in the back seat, no I have to balance it on top of that box, and then sometimes I turn the corner too sharp and it falls down and squishes the lamp shade and I worry that I ruined it. Furthermore, when I carry all this junk with me I cannot transport friends, family members or strangers in need of a ride, my services to others becomes a lot more limited. Lastly, with all this junk in my backseat, I have to depend on others (aka my husband's car) to use their vehicle if we are going somewhere or doing something that requires space to transport or pickup items. And all this could be resolved if I just looked back there and sorted it out! My Andrew keeps telling me that eventually I am going to have to look back there, but I have been in complete avoidance because I'm on strike from moving. The picket signs are going to come down soon though.

Now driving point the life changing comparison, stay close, it'll be good... when we have issues in our lives that have not been dealt with or emotions from our past that are lingering about like a crazy freaky stalker, it is just the same as carrying around piles of junk with us everywhere we go. In this situation I consider the junk to be damaging emotions about or torwards elements of your past (bitterness, frustration, anger, sadness, etc.), as well as damaging memories that replay actions that stir up those bad feelings over and over again. Your daily life becomes a lot more complicated as you place in new emotions or thoughts around the existing 'junk' in your heart and brain but eventually just get absorbed into the bad emotions. Furthermore, your relationships with friends, family members, and strangers can begin to be cutoff as you will not be able to supply the physical, emotional, or mental support required to maintain that relationship as that space normally reserved for them within you is overflowing with 'junk'. And lastly, as some relationships are cutoff, your dependence level on other relationships will grow. You depend too heavily on another person, a TV show, game, movie, book, etc. to enable you to feel happy again. Where your head feels too full with 'junk' you can put your attention elsewhere for a time being and escape to a place where there is not necessarily no 'junk' but that junk is a welcome change from the misery you carry with you on a regular basis.

Friends, I encourage you today to start working towards a drama free life (no no drama... no no no no drama, you'll get it or you won't..) and that basically just means start resolving things!! As hard and time consuming as it may be to go through all the 'junk' in your 'backseat' to figure out what is there, why it is there, and where it should go the rewards of doing so are endless. Who knows what opportunities may arise if you have space for them to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment