Monday, May 6, 2013

A Fruit Crisp Community

I made a fruit crisp tonight for the first time ever. And while that may surprise some people I think it's important to note that while I don't believe I have ever fully made one before I have spent many a time perfecting my ability to eat fruit crisp... most importantly, apple crisp.

So anyways, I don't have some super big reason for telling you that other than I had a really good night. One of those nights where you just feel good about doing mellow things but yet having a fantastic time. I came home from work just knowing that tonight was a good night to have "our first dinner out on the patio of 2013". And so we did. I cooked and baked up a storm and was super excited for fresh air and lemon/mint water while eating all the food. We invited an elderly friend of ours that we live with (we live in her basement), and she came and had dinner with us too. That feels awesome. Andrew invited her to come eat with us and she mentioned that she was heating up some food but decided to come and join us anyways. It was such a blessing to have her with us and not eating by herself. I went downstairs to grab the apple and peach fruit crisp and by the time I came back to the patio another elderly lady had shown up! A few minutes later my cousin showed up and we made sure that we got all the new guests some fruit crisp as well. (Sidenote: The fruit crisp was an absolute hit, yessssssssssss). Such a relaxed feeling that people can just show up and start eating.

Community. Yes, that's what it was tonight, that's what I am talking about. Phew, glad it finally came to me. Even though I am tired now and ready to go to bed I guess I was just reminded tonight about why community and being with people that just accept you is so important. If you think that community doesn't apply to you because nobdy ever invites you over... ponder this, what kind of community can YOU invite people into? It doesn't have to be about food, although that's always a fun thing to gather around, but look for opportunities to bring together the young and the old to simply talk and share life with, it's an incredible sight and experience.

Those are my thoughts for tonight. While it gets tricky to slow life down every now and then it is important to let yourself be part of a community more often than not. Slow your schedule, delay some errands and just be with people or invite people over to talk about life. The good, the bad, the frustrating, and the dreams; summer is coming and that means outdoor patio parties and people. Don't miss out on your chance to be a part of a community of people, whether self made or joining in, it's going to be a good year.

No comments:

Post a Comment