Wednesday, October 5, 2011

No Hidden Talents

I am not a woman of few words. This comes as no shock to many that know me. Some may say that I am more a chatterbox of double the amount of words packed into half the time that a normal person would say them. My grandmother loves (and I mean loves) telling everyone about the fact that I picked up her capability for mass amounts of talking. I once got on this topic with her and some how ended up coining the phrase ``I talk just as much as you do but I do it in half the amount of time`` which she tells pretty much everyone we run into. This is not sarcasm. Unfortunatley, many times the way I speak appears in my writing in the form of very long sentences that normal people have to take about two breaths in the middle of. If only I could have just read out all my History Term papers to my teachers over the years. I'm pretty sure I could  have talked fast enough that they would assume my paper was full of relevant and life changing scholarly info and just given me A+'s. This is sarcasm.

Moving on, a point to my extreme ability for talking. Tonight I was at an event where the speaker was talking about our talents. Now, I can be a smidge over dramatic sometimes, but I kid you not when for the last few months I have been trying to decide what my God given talent was. It`s not that I think I have zero talents, I just was wondering if there was anything I excelled out. So in contemplating this I thought it was perfect that I got the chance to think further on what talents I have and how I might use them to impact those around me. My conclusion on my biggest talent: talking. Now at first I thought, that`s lame. I`ll just get better at something else. But think about it... how powerful can words be? How has the history of the world changed simply by words? How has your world changed by words that someone has spoken to you?

Now with that thought in mind... flip it... think about how damaging words can be, how pain inflicting, life altering, and tormenting words can be. I don't say this to depress everyone and dredge up bad memories but to show the effects of a talent not used for a postive influence. For example, if a great musician only used their talents to sing songs of depression and suffering or if an influential teacher taught lies to their students or a gifted speaker only used their voice to gossip, tear down, and belittle their audience. This would not be good. Agreed?

So, in my brain of deep thoughts, I present Sher's Deep Thought Time. If a talent is just being good at something, but perhaps a bit better than the average human being (I would look up the dictionary definition, but let's not kid ourselves, I would just end up on Wikipedia and I'm sure it says something along those lines... and if it doesn't heck I could just change it!). BUT a talent can be both a negative and positive thing, depending on how it is utilized, so obviously I want to take the 'positive' route and encourage others to do so as well. And I believe that once people start to realize what their talents are, become comfortable in their talents, and positively use their talents, these talents become a double whammy because they now give you the capability to affect and bless others. Yes, your talent becomes an influential blessing. And, unsurprisingly, people like being blessed! And so, I continue on with life with this established knowledge knowing that I want to be better with my talent. I will not take the negative path and use my talent for purposes that would hurt others but will energetically and excitedly take my new 'found' established talent on the Positivity Path, allowing the light that is within me to guide me.

Oh life is good. Smile friends, we are free.

No comments:

Post a Comment