Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Dishwasher Departs

Ok, so I haven’t mentioned it before but my dishwasher has some serious issues. It has been deteriorating for… well basically since we got it. Well ok ok the first few years I don’t think there were any issues, but a couple years ago a cousin fell on the open dishwasher door and … it fell off. Never fear though, my trusty father put the door back on and while he did a good job, I think from there its all been downhill. It has had issues closing ever since and staying closed when the dishwasher is on. But the thing is, the dishwasher is amazing, we can put almost anything in there (none of that pre-rinsing business where people just wash their dishes before putting them in the dishwasher) and it comes out clean! Maaaagic. There was a bit of an issue with losing utensils for a while since the holder thing broke, but a few zap straps later... good as new.. kind of... we just try to avoid that square and use the others if possible. So, clearly it has been the perfect dishwasher for the lazy, non hand dish-washing family... my family. The last couple months have been really tough times on the dishwasher, it’s last burst of energy shall we say. We had to prop the door closed with a broom which created somewhat of a limbo challenge to step over in the middle of our kitchen. Fun and frustrating all in one! So things were going well with the dishwasher and his ‘crutch’…. But then bits of the dishwasher started to break off where we had to jam the broom into the dishwasher handle to keep it closed so that it would run (not even mentioning how beat up our broom looks too). And I mean that happens. I guess. But the dishwasher was still working. Until this morning. Mother phoned me at work to tell me the bad news, she went downstairs to find a huge lake in our kitchen. ‘Ol dishwasher just has no control of himself anymore. He can't keep himself together and he can't keep control of his water. It’s really quite sad to see him deteriorate like this. Especially for my mother as she has decided to put him out of his misery. She is going out to look for a new dishwasher today. While I’m excited to see what new dishwasher-ey inventions have come out in the last 10-13 years and what new creation my mother comes home with… I feel none will compare to this original dishwasher that has brought us such frustration and joy over the years.

Concluding Thoughts: All jokes aside, my family is blessed to even have a dishwasher. I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment